Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Commuting by Bike

I have been riding mt.bikes and road bikes since 1990. I started out mt. biking because it reminded me of a time when as a kid I would ride my bike for the fun of it. I had nothing better to do but to ride though the park or ride to the local trails to jump over a few tires. I wanted that feeling back, that sense of freedom that I could only get from a bike. After I drove for a couple of years the car had not done it for me anymore. When I got that first mountain bike and went for I ride I was back and knew at that moment that I had found what I was looking for. This brings me to the present. I am a husband, a father, and a teacher my time is limited and one of the best times for me to ride is going to work. When I first started doing my 18 miles each way I was back to being that kid again. I would leave early in the morning and ride through different areas and see what was happening. The whole day felt different. I felt like I had more energy and not to mention fitness. I also saw other cyclists doing the same thing as me. I thought I would wave to them because I am a nice person and lets face it there are not that many of us and a whole lot of them. ( By them I mean Cars ) Many of the other riders would not wave back! Why is that? I don't really understand? Even school bus drivers take that extra second to wave to each other. This non-waving usually only happens when road cyclists are involved, mt. bikers tend to always say hi or wave. I just think it would be nice if we could all get along and take that extra second to say hello. Think of the people like Dave C who get hurt while riding and realize that what you and a few others are doing is fun and a privilege.
Later

No comments: