Saturday, December 6, 2008

34x18 on a 29 = FUN






The Rig came with a stock gear of 32x18. At first this gear was very hard for me to spin up hills and it felt as though I could mantain speed on flat trails. Lately, I had been feeling like I wanted a "bigger" gear and more speed. I guess I just wanted things to be hard again! After putting the new chain ring on I was excited to feel the difference. For my first ride with the 34x18 I would head over to the Wissihickon Watershed trail. This is a semi flat trail that follows the Wissihickon Creek. This trail is nice try out a new set up because it is not super difficult or techy, just a fun line of dirt. To get to the "shed" I had to ride on the road for a few minutes from the house. I could tell I was going to like the 34x18. When I hit the dirt it was even better. Acceleration was faster in every situation. When I would come down a small hill and the trail flattened out I was able to pedal and maintain a higher speed. Easy to moderate uphills were a blast because of more speed. Overall, I really liked the gear for the "shed" trail. The next test for the 34x18 will be Valley Green and its steep uphills.

No comments: